Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Location as Character - Home is Where The Heart is


      Hell once again, and welcome to Kim's first attempt at using a DSLR during a film project! In other words after 3 years of only using HFRM in my projects, Mr. Bigue caught on to my little secret and was very insistent that I use the T3i Rebel to shoot my project.

      Armed with a tripod, a camera, tired parents, and approximately 2 hours to get footage we all embarked on the 30-minute ride outside of San Bruno.

       For the location as character project I decided to film in a place that was very dear to me; much so, I went back "home". Which was the very premise and theme of this story, coming back home to the bay and showing the inner beauty and tranquility that only San Francisco can bring. I highlighted 3 locations : the tile stairs near 16th avenue, the top of turtle hill, and my dad's work. All of these places were a big part of my life since I'd always visit them when I lived in the Sunset district. Initially, the message I wanted to convey was the beauty of San Francisco. However, looking back on it now, I see that I found a sort of story to accompany the video. The project highlighted the journey to San Francisco and seeing it as a whole and then comparing it to the emotional connection that I had with the location as a child. 

SCRIPT:
NOTES: shots i want to focus on


  1. Texture/Pattern/Repetition - pattern of the stairs dog looking back
  2. Angle/Perspective - different angle, reverse of what the dad was climbing.
  3. Visual Movement/ Action - the juxtaposition of the two bees selecting pollen from a flower, and then two lovers going up the stairs.
  4. Balance/Proportion/Unity - the static shot overlooking the cactus leaves, shows the relationship between nature and how the city developed around it.
  5. Line - power lines. add to a sort of melacnholic feel, and this was the transition from nature/art into the deeper city and therefore more emortional connection
  6. Rule of Thirds/Selective Focus - fire hydrant
  7. Depth- Foreground, Midground, Backround
  8. Selective Focus - al the shots with the words and then featuring a face that exacts that emotion.
  9. Space/Negative Space/ Depth - dad walking up the stairs.
  10. Rhythm - the stairs going up, with the children following the path.
  11. Framing/ Contrast - girl walking away in slow motion.

Commentary:

No comments:

Post a Comment